IMK221/3 Food Ingredient
This course covers aspects of food ingredients and additives usually used in food products. Different categories of these ingredients and additives will be discussed based on their specific functional properties. Examples will be given such as chemical and trade name, E-number, properties, toxicology and suitable level of usage in food.
This course is designed to introduce different classes/ group of ingredients in food formulation. The description of physicochemical and functional characteristics of each group of ingredients and their application on food products as well as developing skills in identifying appropriate ingredients for a specific application.
➤ Chapter 1: Introduction
➤ Chapter 2: Food Gums/Stabilisers
➤ Chapter 3: Food Emulsifiers
➤ Chapter 4: Food Flavours
➤ Chapter 5: Acidulants
➤ Chapter 6: Enzymes
➤ Chapter 7: Specialty Protein-Based Ingredients
➤ Chapter 8: Nutritive and Non-Nutritive Sweeteners
➤ Chapter 9: Colouring Ingredients
➤ Chapter 10: Other Ingredients
Course Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Outline the role of ingredients in food industry, labelling and the legislation involved.
2. Discuss the different class /groups of ingredients in food formulation.
3. Describe the physicochemical and functional characteristics of specific of ingredients and their application on food products.
4. Develop skills in identifying appropriate ingredients for a specific application.
5. Highlight the current issues in relation to food ingredients.