Abdul Khalil Shawkataly
|Abdul Khalil Shawkataly|
Nanotechnology and fibre science
High performance/ conventional
Prof. H.P.S. Abdul Khalil received his PhD (Polymer Composites and Technology, University of Wales, UK, 1999), Bachelors degree in Forestry Science (Wood Industry), from UPM in 1991, and Diploma (Wood Technology, ITM, 1989). He started his career as an academician and researcher in 1992 at Universiti Sains Malaysia and was promoted to professorship(in Biocomposites) based on his experience and performance in 2008. Currently; he is working as a Deputy Dean at school of industrial technology in Universiti Sains Malaysia. He has published more than 60 research papers in ISI referred journals and 3 chapters in books. He has also published 5 books under reputed publishers. He is a reviewer of more than 20 ISI reputed journals. He not only received RM 2 million research grant but also RM 5 million pre-commercialization grant for carrying out various research projects. He is a Fellow of Institute of Wood science (FIWSc), U.K and has memberships in Society of Wood Science and Technology (USA), American Chemical Society (USA). He is also Regional Editor of Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology. Prof. Khalil is consultant to several wood/non wood based and polymer composites industries. Lead Guest Editor of Special Issue entitle “Broad Perspective, Processing and Application of Polymer Bio composites for Sustainable Tomorrow”, Advances in Materials Sciences and Engineering.
His fields of specialization are fibre reinforced polymer/ceramic/cement composites, modification and treatment of lignocellulosic fibres Fibre, Advanced Composites, Hybrid Reinforced/Filled Polymer Composites, Bio-materials Science and Technology, cell wall architecture and properties of plant fibres, lignocellulosic composites (wood and non-wood), utilization of Oil Palm Biomass, and Sustainable Biobased composites as New Materials for New Economy.
He has successfully supervised more than 100 undergraduate final projects and 17 postgraduate students (M.Sc and PhD). Presently 7 PhD students and15 M.Sc students under supervision. Four Post doctoral fellow working under him on Nanocomposite from Agro waste, Chemical modification of Plant Fibres, and Development of Palm Lumber. Beside that, Prof. Khalil also worked as internal and external examiner for more than 15 postgraduate students at various universities in Malaysia.
He has achieved a milestone of being awarded numerous awards for research and development such as: Gold Medal in Malaysian Technology Expo(2010), Grand Prize (2009) in Seoul(Korea); Silver Medal in Bio Malaysia(2008); Bronze Medal, Invention and Innovation Industrial Design and Technology I-TEX(2008); An Exhibition on Science and Technology (MOSTI) 2003, 2004, 2006 and Gold Medal in 2007; Silver and Bronze Medal, Invention and Innovation Industrial Design and Technology (I-TEX) 2003, 2004, 2006; Special Award, Malaysia Solid State Science and Technology (MASS), IPTA, 2003; Industry Commodity Scientist Award (Finalist), 2007. Excellent Research Award (Sanggar Sanjung 2003, 2004, 2007, 2008), Academic Excellence Service Annual Award USM, 2002. I secured funding of over RM 2,000,000 from IRPA (RM7, RM8), E-Science Fund RM9, FRGS, Yayasan Felda, Malaysia Palm Oil Board and Short Term USM Grant.
- Anjung Juara Sdn. Bhd., Composite pallet.Technofund (2009-2011).
- Nirahmas Sdn. Bhd., Prefabricated Sewage Treatment System for the World (Using Natural Fibre Tank) Technofund (2009-2011).
- Auditor Consultant for Beris Dam Project, Kedah. (Hazardous Material, Wood and Forestry) RM 28,500.00.
- Composites Properties: Fabricated Sewage Treatment Composites: Plant-Cradotex (M) Sdn. Bhd., Seberang Perai Selatan, P. Pinang, Malaysia. (RM 90,000.00)
- Mechanical and Thermal Properties: Fabricated Sewage Treatment Composites: Plant-Mass Composites Industries (M) Sdn. Bhd., Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia. (RM 95,000.00)
- Study of Hybrid MDF from Mixed Wood and Rubberwood. Merbok Adhesives Sdn. Bhd.(Merbok MDF Sdn. Bhd.), Kedah. (RM 5,
- Wood Plastic Reinforced Composite : Development and Properties. Perceptive Profile Sdn. Bhd., Perak.(RM 5,
- Study of Wood Plastic Composite Products. GMK Connection Sdn. Bhd., Penang. (RM 5,
- Motorola Technology Sdn. Bhd., Penang (Project : Energy Surface Analysis). (RM 5,
- Jayarena Construction Sdn. Bhd., Tapak Pembinaan Penempatan Nelayan Seberang Kota, Kuala Kedah, Kedah. (Project : Introduction to Wood Species.)
- Rich Entrepreneur Sdn. Bhd.(236914-W), Ground Floor, Sri Sungai Nibong Commercial Complex, 737-1-7, Jalan Sultan Azlan Shah, 11900 Penang. (Project : Wood Treatment Analysis.)
- VDO Instrument (M) Sdn. Bhd., VDO Components(M) Sdn. Bhd., 2455, Mk. 1, Lorong Perusahaan 2, Prai Industrial Estate, 13600 Prai. (Project : SEM/EDS Analysis.)
- QF Industries Sdn. Bhd., 4, Green Garden 3, 11600 Penang. (Project: Epoxy Modifications.)
- Codex Industries Sdn. Bhd., 48-B, C&D, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, 10050 Penang. (Project :Fibre Reinforce.)
- Muda Paper Mills Sdn. Bhd., 391, Jalan Tasek, 14120 Simpang Ampat, P. W. S., Penang. (Project : Bonding Test)