|Dr. Widad Fadhullah|
|Email : firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ext : 5202|
River monitoring and assessments, water quality, nutrient assessments, heavy metals concentration in water, sediment and fish, stable isotopes ecology.
Dr Widad binti Fadhullah is a senior lecturer at the School of Industrial Technology, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang. She received her degree in Biodiversity Conservation and Management in KUSTEM, or currently known as UMT and her MSc in Conservation Biology, UKM. She completed her PhD in Environmental Science at University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK working on nitrogen biogeochemistry in aquatic ecosystem. She has attended several national and international courses; one of them is Application of Environmental Isotopes in Rivers and Lakes organized by IAEA, Isotope Hydrology Section, Vienna. She has conducted fieldwork in rivers and reservoirs in Penang, Perak and landfill in Kelantan. Her main background is related to water quality monitoring and assessment in freshwater ecosystems. Widad has presented her work and gave talks at both national and international venues.
1. IEA 112 (Society and Environment Project)
2. IEA 202 (Environmental Bioindicator)
3. IEA 300 (Environmental Technology Laboratory)
4. IEA 504 (Ecosystem Services)
5. IEG 502 (Aquatic Ecotoxicology)
6. IEG 503 (Hydrogelogy and Watershed Management)
7. IEA 518 (Environmental Sampling Techniques)
My previous research experience started from doing capture-recapture and tagging techniques of fruit eating bats in KUSTEM campus area. I was lucky to be one of the participants in a program 'Bat Identification and Survey Techniques' held by Malaysian Bat Conservation Research Unit led by Dr. Tigga Kingston in Lanchang, Pahang. After that, my research journey continued to the world of aquatic ecosystem by conducting fieldwork sampling of freshwater fishes from Sungai SImpang Empat, Penang. From here, I learned how to analyze fish tissues for heavy metals analysis. Then, my research expanded to estuaries in Breydon Water, Great Yarmouth, UK to have an experimental microcosm setup involving short term effect of hypoxia and anoxia on nitrogen biogeochemistry.
Currently, my research interest revolves around river monitoring and assessments, integrating water quality, nutrient and heavy metals concentration as well as water and nitrate stable isotopes in freshwater aquatic ecosystem. Apart from the water component, the sediments and biota in the ecosystem are also incorporated in my research to understand the effect of water quality and nutrient changes to living organisms such as aquatic plants and fishes.
IAEA-Coordinated Research Program-Global Network of Isotopes in Rivers (2016-2020)
Nitrogen Sources and Eutrophication in Aquatic Ecosystems : Applications using Stable Isotopes and Nutrient Analysis-Principle Investigator
1.Effect of Hypoxia on Nitrogen Cycling in River Estuarine Ecosystem
2.Understanding Nitrogen Processes and Tracing Nitrogen Sources in Rivers and Lakes Using Isotopic Approaches
3.Ecological Risk Assessment of Sediment-Water Interactions from Two Estuaries in Penang
4. Determination of Carbon Sources and Trophic Position of Selected Fishes at Perak River Freshwater and Estuary by Using Stable Isotopes (13C and 15N)
5. Ecological and health risk assessments in water, soil and plants within Beris Lalang waste dumpsite, Kelantan, Malaysia
6. Waste to Resources: Green Entrepreneurship
7. Empowering Community towards Green Technology Practices in Masjid Jamek Sungai Gelugor, Penang
8. Seafood Safety Awareness to Community in Disturbed and Undisturbed Coastal Ecosystems
9. Eco Awareness Program in Mangrove Ecosystem
Nur Aisyah Najibah Jafar. EUTROPHICATION IN AQUATIC ECOSYSTEMS ASSOCIATED WITH OIL PALM PLANTATION IN SOUTHEAST ASIA: A SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META ANALYSES
Thaer Kareem. Identifying Birds Diversity Hot Spots in Teeb Protected Area South-eastern Iraq by Using Kernel Density Estimation
Florence Rutselin Kelanit. Metals Pollution Risk Assessments in Water and Soil from Beris Lalang Waste Dumpsite, Kelantan
Khairul Rijal bin Hamdan. Assessment of Dengue Outbreak areas using vector surveillance and metereological factors in the South Seberang Perai District, Penang
Vaishnavi Chandraraj. Temporal Differences Between Birds’ Foraging Activity In Mangrove And Forested Areas In Penang, Malaysia
FARAH MASTURA BINTI ROSLI. Determination of Carbon Sources and Trophic Position of Selected Fishes at Perak River Freshwater and Estuary by Using Stable Isotopes Analysis of 13C and 15N
MUHAMMAD RADZI BIN ABD RAHMAN. Toxicity Study of Isoprothiolane on Macrobrachium lanchesteri in Surface Water of Paddy Field Ecosystem (Co-supervisor)
NUR SYAHIRAH BINTI YACCOB.Characterisation of Nitrate Stable Isotopes to Identify Nitrate Sources in Bukit Merah Reservoir, Perak
MUNEERA SULTANA. An Assessment of Non-Indigenous Fish from Temengor and Chenderoh Reservoirs in Malaysia (Co-supervisor)
1.FARHANA BINTI YAACOB. Determination of Heavy Metal in Soil and Plant at Beris Lalang Non-Sanitary Landfill
2.NUR ANIS FATIHAH BINTI MOHD IZHAM. Determination of Food Web Structure and Organic matter Sources in Bukit Merah Reservoir using Stable Isotopes and Mixing Models
3.SITI NURHAFIZHA BINTI OSMAN. River monitoring using Statistical Analyses, Risk Assessment and Bayesian Isotope Mixing Model
4.NUR ATIQAH HANIM BINTI LUKMAN. Determination of Heavy Metal in Soil and Plant at Beris Lalang Non-Sanitary Landfill and Residential (co-supervisor)
5.NUR FAKHIRA AIDA BINTI JAFRI. Respiratory Symptoms Survey among Residents around Close Proximity of Beris lalang Landfill, Bachok, Kelantan (co-supervisor)
6.RAJA NUR SHAFIEZA BINTI RAJA MOHAMAD. Composting by using different types of organic waste from selected cafeteria in USM Health Campus and its effect on Ipomoea Aquatica growth (co-supervisor)
7.MARLIZAWATI BINTI ISHAK. Human Health Risk Assessment from heavy Metals in Mussels, Penang Coastal Area,
8.CHAN LEE TING. EFFECT OF CONCENTRATION OF ACTIVATED EFFECTIVE MICROOGRANISM SOLUTION ON QUALITY OF COMPOST TO GROWTH OF WATER SPINACH
9.NURULAIN FARAHIZA BINTI ADNAN. NOISE AUDIT ON MATERIAL RECOVERY FACILITY AT PULAU BURUNG SANITARY LANDFILL
10.Joviel Chong Joo Wei. ASSESSMENT OF HEAVY METALS IN SEDIMENTS AND WATER QUALITY AT TANJUNG TOKONG LAND RECLAMATION AREA
11.Kwan Ming Kin. ASSESSMENT OF WATER QUALITY AT SUNGAI MAS AND SUNGAI BATU FERRINGHI
12.NURSHAFRINA BINTI OTHMAN. NUTRIENT ASSESSMENTS IN BUKIT MERAH LAKE AND KURAU RIVER
13.Yap Soon Koon. Stable Carbon and Nitrogen Isotope Ratios of Selected Native and Non-Native Freshwater Fishes in Temenggor and Chenderoh Lake
14.Yeap Yumei.Assessment of Heavy Metals and Water Quality in Sungai Perak, Perak
15. Noor Erma Izzati Tumin.Assessment of the Ecosystem Services Provided by Aman Lake, Harapan Lake and USM River using Water Quality Parameters and Stable Isotopes Analysis
16. Loo Leong Hong. Water quality in Sungai Bayan Lepas, Penang
17.Liu Zishi.Preliminary nutrient assessments of Sungai Bayan Lepas, Penang
1. Ioannis Matiatos, Leonard I. Wassenaar, Lucilena R. Monteiro, , Jason J. Venkiteswaran,Daren C. Gooddy, Pascal Boeckx , Elisa Sacchi , Fu‐Jun Yue, Greg Michalski,Carlos Alonso-Hernández, Christina Biasi, Lhoussaine Bouchaou, Nandana V. Edirisinghe,Widad Fadhullah, Joseph R. Fianko, Alejandro García-Moya, Nerantzis Kazakis, Si-Liang Li, Minh T. N. Luu, Sakhila Priyadarshanee, Viviana Re, Diego S. Rivera, Asunción Romanelli,Prasanta Sanyal, Fredrick Tamooh, Duc A. Trinh, Wendell Walters, Nina Welti (2021) Global patterns of nitrate isotope composition in rivers and adjacent aquifers reveal reactive nitrogen cascading. Commun Earth Environ 2, 52 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1038/s43247-021-00121-x.
2. M. H. Senik, I. F. Abu, W. Fadhullah, (2021) Analysis of KATP Channels Opening Probability of Hippocampus Cells Treated with Kainic Acid, Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences, 28 (1):, 15-26.
3. Widad Binti Fadhullah, Nur Fakhira Aida Jafri, Mohd Hafiidz Bin Jaafar, Hasmah Binti Abdullah, (2021), Community Respiratory Symptoms Survey Among Residents In Close Proximity To A Landfill In A Tropical Rural Areas, Journal of Sustainability Science and Management Volume 16 Number 4, April 2021: 128-143.
4. Thaer Kareem Hassan, Widad Binti Fadhullah, Salwan Ali Abed, Mudhafar A. Salim, Kudhur A. Al-kenani, Saif Salih Mahdi, 2021, Identifying the Birds Diversity Hot Spots in Teeb Protected Area South-eastern Iraq by Using Kernel Density Estimation, IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science790 (2021) 012084. doi:10.1088/1755-1315/790/1/012084.
Chapter in Research Book
1. Raja Nur Shafieza, Nurulilyana Binti Sansuddin, Widad Binti Fadhullah, Nur Fatihah, Nur Khairina Syahirah, 2021, Composting using different types of organic waste from selected cafeterias in USM Health Campus and its effect on Ipomoea aquatica, in (The influence of ecosystem services towards human wellbeing) eds. Hasmah Abdullah, Rapeah Suppian. Nova Science Publishers, p.127-140.
2. Widad Binti Fadhullah, Nur Fakhira Aida Jafri, Hasmah Binti Abdullah, 2021, Effects of active smoking and secondhand smoke exposure at home among adults in the rural area of Kampung Beris Lalang, Bachok, Kelantan, Malaysia, in (The influence of Ecosystem Services towards Human Wellbeing), eds. Hasmah Abdullah, Rapeah Suppian Nova Science Publishers, p. 103-112.
1. Widad Binti Fadhullah, Nur Syahirah Yaccob, Muhammad Izzuddin Syakir Bin Ishak, Syahidah Akmal Binti Muhammad, Yue Fujun, Li Siliang, (2020), Nitrate sources and processes in the surface water of a tropical reservoir by stable isotopes and mixing model, Science of the Total Environment 700 (135417)
2. Mohamad Shaiful Md Yusuff, Muhammad Izzuddin Syakir, Widad Fadhullah (2020), Tracing the Carbon Flow in Tropical Watershed using Stable Isotope Technique, Sains Malaysiana 49(8): 1809-1817
1. Widad Fadhullah, Mohamad Anuar Kamaruddin, Norli Ismail, Nurulilyana Sansuddin, Hasmah Abdullah. (2019). Characterization of Landfill Leachates and Its Impact to Groundwater and River Water Quality: A Case Study in Beris Lalang Waste Dumpsite, Kelantan. Pertanika Journal of Science and Technology 27(2): 633-646.
2. Jia Fong Chong, Widad Fadhullah, Vuanghao Lim, Chee Keong Lee. (2019). Two-stage cultivation of the marine microalga Chlorella salina for starch and carbohydrate production. Aquaculture International https://doi.org/10.1007/s10499-019-00385-3.
3. Harlina, A. R Muhammad Radzi, W. Fadhullah, (2019), The residual level of isoprothiolane in paddy field surface water and its acute toxicity level on freshwater prawn, Macrobrachium lanchesteri, Paddy and Water Environment, :, 571–579
4. Ng Jing Sheng, Syahidah Akmal Binti Muhammad, Ainolsyakira Binti Mohd Rodhi, Mohd Omar Ab Kadir, Widad Binti Fadhullah, Noor Hana Hanif Binti Abu Bakar, (2019), An Assessment Of Ft-Ir And Ft-Nir Capability In Screening Crude Palm Oil Authenticity And Quality Combined With Chemometrics, Malaysian Journal of Analytical Sciences.
1. Sohni, S., Norulaini, N.A.N., Hashim, R.. Khan S, Fadhullah W, Mohd Omar A. Physicochemical characterization of Malaysian crop and agro-industrial biomass residues as renewable energy resource. Industrial Crops and Products (2018) 111: 642-650.
2. Nur Syahirah Yaccob, M. I. Syakir,Syahidah Akmal Muhammad, Zarul Hazrin Hashim, Azimah Rahman, Fu-Jun Yue, Si-Liang Li and Widad Fadhullah (2018). Application of nitrate stable isotopes, δ15N-NO3-and δ18O-NO3-,in Bukit Merah Reservoir, Malaysia. J. Phys. Sci., 29(Supp. 3), 1–6, https://doi.org/10.21315/jps2018.29.s3.1.
1. Farah Mastura Rosli, Syahidah Akmal Muhammad, Widad Fadhlullah. Comparison of stable isotope signatures between tropical freshwater and estuarine food web model. Asian Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Environmental Sciences (2017)19(4):836-842.
2.Roslanzairi Mostapa, Mohamad Shaiful Md. Yusuff, Widad Fadhlullah and M. I. Syakir. Hydrogen and oxygen stable isotopes of palm oil mill effluent in surface water and groundwater water. Journal of Physical Science (2017) 28(2) 143-159.
1. Fadhullah W., Syakir M.I. (2016) Polychaetes as Ecosystem Engineers: Agents of Sustainable Technologies. In: Ahmad M., Ismail M., Riffat S. (eds) Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technologies for Building and Environmental Applications. Springer, Cham
- Nur Syahirah Yaccob, Widad Fadhlullah, Muhammad Izzuddin Syakir, Syahidah Akmal Muhammad, Zarul Hazrin Hashim and Azimah Abdul Rahman. Water Quality Assessment of Bukit Merah Reservoir, Perak Malaysia. Proceedings of 5th International Conference of Environmental Research and Technology 2017.
- Nabilah Mohd Daud, Norli Ismail, Mardiana Idayu Ahmad and Widad Fadhlullah. Ecological Risk Assessment of Heavy Metals in Sediments of Penang Coastal Ecosystem and the Human Health Risk Assessment From Bivalves Consumption. Proceedings of 5th International Conference of Environmental Research and Technology 2017.
- Y, Shaharudin Samsurijan, R. Mostapa, Widad. F, M. Hakimi Ibrahim, M.I. Syakir. Eco Innovation Model As A New Mechanism For Optimizing Local Ecosystem Services. International Journal of Environment, Society and Space, 2017, 5(1), 2289-5299.
- Zafirah, Shaiful Y.,Nurin N.A, Widad, F and M.I. Syakir.Role of Ecosystem Services in Catchment Management: A Snapshot. International Journal of Environment, Society and Space, 2017, 5(2), 42-50.
- Widad Fadhlullah, M.I.Syakir, Zarul Hazrin Hashim, Yap Soon Koon and Muneera Islam. Stable Isotopes approach to infer the feeding habit and trophic position of freshwater fishes in tropical lakes. Iranica Journal of Energy and Environment.
- Anizah Mohd Salleh, Nur Ammelia Azman Lim, Muhammad Anas Azam, Widad Fadhlullah, Japareng Lalung and Mahamad Hakimi Ibrahim. 2016. Landfill to Landscape (L2L): Exploring the Potential of Pulau Burung Landfill. Proceedings of 3rd National Conference on Knowledge Transfer.
- Widad Fadhullah, Alastair Grant. Kesan Episodic Hypoxia dan Anoxia pada Metabolit Organik dalam Sedimen Muara. In: (Sharifah Norkhadijah Syed Ismail and Mohd Armi Abu Samah), Meneroka Interaksi Dinamik dalam Kesihatan Persekitaran. 978-983-2408-29-1, 90-101.
- Widad Fadhlullah and Maimon Abdullah, Preliminary Study Of Heavy Metals Pollution In Freshwater Fishes Of Sungai Simpang Empat, Penang, Journal of Academia UiTM Negeri Sembilan, 2014.
- Widad Fadhlullah. Ecological Technology in Promoting Environmental Sustainability: A Review from an Islamic Perspective. Proceedings WCIT, Perak, Malaysia 2014.
- Widad Fadhullah and Alastair Grant. 2014. An Experimental Study of Short Term Hypoxia and Anoxia on Phosphate Concentration and Alkaline Phosphatase Activity in Estuarine Sediment. International Journal of Current Research and Academic Review
- Widad Fadhlullah. Hima, satu pendekatan terhadap kelestarian alam sekitar. Proceedings Seminar Penyelidikan Kelestarian 2014.