Musfirah Zulkurnain, Ph.D.
Dr. Musfirah Zulkurnain
Dr Musfirah Zulkurnain graduated from Universiti Sains Malaysia with B.Tech. (Hons) in Food Technology. She obtained her Master's Degree in Universiti Putra Malaysia solving a chemical food safety issue in palm oil refining process with a patent. She earned her PhD from The Ohio State University in 2017 specialized in novel nonthermal processing technologies in structuring lipids based foods. Her research involved the application of physical chemistry and empirical modelling in the production of novel high-pressure lipid crystals. After obtaining her PhD she came back to her alma mater, USM in the heart of Penang Island as a senior lecturer. Her research focuses on processes and also material science of lipid systems for food safety and process improvement with industry collaborations. Penang offers myriad coastal resources including precious seafood. Soon, she became interested in the application of novel nonthermal technologies in post-harvest processing of seafood and meat products, focusing on fundamental research of nonthermal technologies to enhance human health.
Web of Science ResearcherID: AAA-1938-2019
Scopus Author ID: 37070083300
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATION/ MEMBERSHIP:
- Member, American Oil Chemists' Society, AOCS
- Member, Institute of Food Technologists, IFT
- Member, Phi Tau Sigma Honor Society, ΦΤΣ
- Member, Malaysian Board of Technologist, MBOT
- Transdisciplinary Research Grant Scheme (TRGS) 2020
- Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (FRGS) 2019
- Industry Grant 2019-2020
- Division of Industry & Community Network Grant 2019
- Short Term Research Grant 2018
- Lipid crystallization
Non-thermal processing technologies
Structuring food systems
- Chemical food safety
- Food analysis
IMK 223 Food Processing Technology of Animal-based Products
IMK 407 Food Safety
IMK 410 Foodborne Pathogens
IMK 421 Primary Product Technologies
IMA 117 Scientific Written Communication
JOURNALS & BOOKS
Ramli, M.E., Salleh, R.M., Tajarudin, H.A. & Zulkurnain, M. (2021) Influence of amylose content on phenolics fortification of different rice varieties with butterfly pea (Clitoria ternatea) flower extract through parboiling. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 147, 111493.
Hassan, N. H., Othman, H. I. A. Al, Malek, N. R. A., Zulkurnain, M., Saad, B., & Wong, Y. F. (2020). Simultaneous Quantitative Assessment of Ochratoxin A, Patulin, 5-Hydroxymethylfurfural, and Bisphenol A in Fruit Drinks Using HPLC with Diode Array-Fluorimetric Detection. Foods, 9, 1633.
Alafeef, A. K., Ariffin, F., & Zulkurnain, M. (2020). Organic selenium as antioxidant additive in mitigating acrylamide in coffee beans roasted via conventional and superheated steam. Foods, 9(9), 1197.
Zulkurnain M., Sulaiman, A. & Balasubramaniam V.M. (2020). Application of High Pressure Processing in Food. In: Advances in Thermal and Non-thermal Food Process Technology, CRC Press New York.
Zulkurnain M., Balasubramaniam V.M. & Maleky F. (2019) Effects of Lipid Solid Mass Fraction and Non-Lipid Solids on Crystallization Behaviors of Model Fats under High Pressure. Molecules, 24 (15), 2853.
Zulkurnain M., Balasubramaniam V.M. & Maleky F. (2017) Thermal effects on lipids crystallization kinetics under high pressure. Crystal Growth & Design, 17 (9), 4835–4843.
Zulkurnain M., Maleky F. & Balasubramaniam V.M. (2016) High pressure crystallization of binary fat blend: A feasibility study. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 38, 302-311.
Zulkurnain M., Maleky F. & Balasubramaniam V.M. (2016) High Pressure Processing Effects on Lipids Thermophysical Properties and Crystallization Kinetics. Food Engineering Reviews, 8, 393-413.
Zulkurnain M., Lai O.M., Abdul Latip R. & Tan C.P. (2013) Optimization of palm oil physical refining process for reduction of 3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol (3-MCPD) esters formation. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 61, 3341–3349.
Zulkurnain M., Lai O.M., Abdul Latip R., Nehdie I.A., Ling T.C. & Tan C.P. (2012) The effects of physical refining on the formation of 3-monochloropropane-1,2-diol esters in relation to palm oil minor components. Food Chemistry, 135, 799-805.
Zulkurnain M., Goh M.H., Alias A.K. & Liong M.T. (2008) Development of A Soy-Based Cream Cheese. Journal of Texture Studies, 39, 635–654.
Tan C.P., Zulkurnain M. & Lai O.M. An Improved Palm Oil Refining Process. Patent WO 2014/081279 A1. May 30, 2014.
Zulkurnain M., Maleky F. & Balasubramaniam V.M. (2015) Effects of high pressure crystallization on physical properties and microstructure of fat blends. In: P.S. Taoukis, N.G. Stoforos & G. Eleni (Eds.), Sustainable Innovation Based on Science & Applied Research of Nonthermal Technologies (pp. 27-30). Athens, Greece: 2015 International Nonthermal Processing Workshop.
- USM APEX Young Scholar Fellow 2019-2020
- Marco Polo visiting lecturer, Naresuan University, Phitsanulok, Thailand, Aug 2019
- Erasmus Fully funded Regional Workshop on Food Security, Kasetsart University, Bangkok, Thailand, Nov 2018
- 1st Place Graduate Research Competition (Engineering, Math & Physical Sciences category), 31st Edward F. Hayes Graduate Research Forum. The Ohio State University. March 2017
- 2nd Place Ohio Valley Institute of Food Technologist (OVIFT) Graduate Research Competition 2017
- 1st Place Graduate Student Competition, Conference of Food Engineering 2016
- Sanggar Sanjung Award 2013
PUBLIC SERVICE, LEADERSHIP & PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Judge, 12th Malaysian Institute of Food Technology (MIFT) 2021, 4-5th Aug 2021
- Invited speaker, International Conference on Emerging Technologies in Food Processing (ETFP) 2021, West Bengal, India, 25th March 2021
- General lecture, Novel Structuring of Lipid Based Foods, Universitas Sumatera Utara, Medan, Indonesia, Sept 2019
- Speaker, Recent Updates on 3-MCPD Esters in Oils, Food Safety and Quality Seminar, Penang Public Health Department, Aug 2018
- Co-chair, Edible Applications Technology (EAT) technical session, 2017 AOCS Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL, April 2017
- Judge, DENMAN Undergraduate Research Forum 2015, 2017, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- Leader, Volunteer, Farm Science Review, Columbus, OH, Sept 2016.
- Student Monitor, IFT15 Annual Meeting & Food Expo, Chicago, IL July 2015.
- Volunteer, 2014 International Nonthermal Processing Workshop, Columbus, OH, October 2014.
- Volunteer, Ohio Farm to School Conference: Local Foods across the School Meal Tray, Columbus, OH, March 2015.
- Top 6 nationwide, 2014 Product development competition, Developing Solutions for Developing Country, IFT 2014.
Guest Editor, Special Issue - Journal of Food Process Engineering
Reviewer for journals:
- Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition
- Food Research International
- LWT - Food Science and Technology
- Computers and Electronics in Agriculture
- Journal of Food Science
- Journal of Food Process Engineering
- Food Bioscience
- Journal of the American Oil Chemists’ Society
- Waste and Biomass Valorization
- Archives of Acoustics
- Journal of Oil Palm Research
- Malaysian Journal of Medical Sciences