Lee Lai Kuan
|Lee Lai Kuan|
|Room no.: 217|
IUK 208 - Experimental Designs with Computer Applications
IMK 319 - Nutrition
EKC 500 - Science And Engineering Research Methodology
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and health benefits
- Food security
- Functional foods and infertility
- Maternal health and neonatal outcomes
- Nutrition as complementary medicine
National (at national level)
- Elucidation of the roles of lycopene for the improvement of cardiometabolic profiles and inflammatory status in Type II Diabetes Mellitus (FRGS)
- A COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF SACHA INCHI OIL SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HYPERGLYCEMIA, HYPERTENSION AND HYPERLIPIDEMIA IMPROVEMENT (External Grant)
- Study of Social, Cultural And Economic Aspects of Sustainable Aquaculture Focusing On Reclamation And Reuse Of Aquaculture Effluent (LRGS)
- Metabolic mechanism of inter-tissue crosstalk for excess nutrient flux in the biofluids of Type 2 Diabetes (T2D) individuals using an integrated multi-omics approach (FRGS)
Disaster relief and preparedness: Nutritionally-balanced, cost effective, socially acceptable, and sustainable emergency food aid design: A vital strategy for disaster abatement (FRGS)
Health and safety: Integrated assessment of water quality and microbial variability at the heavily flood affected area in Sungai Pahang river basin (TRGS)
Basin characteristics: Rainfall distribution in 5 states since 1967 flood until 2014 flood: Detecting the climate change effect (TRGS)
- Governance for disaster risk reduction: Enhancement of standard operating procedures (SOP) on flood disaster awareness, preparedness, warning system, evacuation plan & institutional arrangements for flood risk management in the Sungai Pahang River Basin (TRGS)
- Preparation of functionalized adsorbents from natural clays by physical, chemical and physio-chemical modifications: A fundamental investigation (FRGS)
- Novel Technology for Eco-Friendly Bio-Retention Facilities (LRGS)
- Sustainable Wetland Design Protocol for Water Quality Improvement (LRGS)
- Perceptions, Environmental Engagement and Its Relationship with the Psychological Well Being in an In-Campus Ecological Wetland Among Students in USM Engineering Campus
- Development of Low Cost Carbon Adsorbents for the Remediation of Landfill Leachate
- Preparation And Evaluation Of Functionalized Adsorbents For The Effective Treatment Of Pharmaceutical Residues And Hospital Contaminants
- Evaluation of role of lycopene on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Glycemic control and oxidative stress status
- Efficacy of Multigrain Supplementation in rheumatoid arthritis: Clinical Disease Measures, Nutritional Status and Quality of Life
- Smart Greenhouse Hydroponic System to Battle Food Insecurity: Application Towards Wastewater Irrigation Practice
- Nur Syafiqah Bt Mat Zain (MSc) - Sustainable Aquaculture for Food Security and Nutrition
- Naufal bin Arshad (PhD) - Quantification of Nutritional Composition Towards Aquaculture Products in Peninsular Malaysia
- Nur Anis Mohd Ariffin (MSc) - EFFICACY OF LOW GLYCEMIC INDEX, HIGH BETA-GLUCAN SUPPLEMENT IN TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS: A RANDOMIZED INTERVENTION TRIAL
- Nur Anis Raihana Mhd Rodzi - A RANDOMISED CLINICAL STUDY ON DIETARY SUPPLEMENT OF SACHA INCHI OIL (PLUKENETIA VOLUBILIS L.) AMONG THE 3Hs PATIENTS (HYPERGLYCAEMIA, HYPERTENSION & HYPERLIPIDAEMIA)
- Farzana Athirah (PhD) - Effectiveness of multigrain-enriched powder supplementation among the rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients: An open-label clinical trial
- Chow Yuh Nien (PhD) - Bioaccumulation of toxic contaminants in the water resources and food crops grown from the polluted urban runoff: A qualitative and quantitative assessment (Graduated)
- Ooi Ee Shan (PhD) - Efficacy of Superheated Steam Technology for the Production of Functional Robusta Coffee: Characterization, Toxicity and Antioxidative Properties (Graduated)
- Varastegani Boshra (PhD) - Production and characterization of Nigella sativa instant beverage powder and its effect on glucose digestion and body mass in long term on overweight and obese people
- Seow Eng Keng (PhD) - Protocol development, oral processing, digestability and shelf life study of natural enzymatic dodol using raw honey as a halal source of amylase enzyme (Graduated)
- Satesh A/L Balachanthar (MSc) - Development of a Sustainable Emergency Food Aid Plan for Disaster Relief and Preparedness (Graduated)
- Leh Hui Eng (MSc) - Evaluation of the role of lycopene on Diabetes Mellitus: Glycaemic Control, cognitive function and oxidative stress
LIST OF JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
- Lee Lai Kuan, Leh Hui Eng, Mastura Binti Mohd Sopian, Mohamad Hafizi Bin Abu Bakar, 2021, The role of lycopene for the amelioration of glycaemic status and peripheral antioxidant capacity among the Type II Diabetes Mellitus patients: A Case-Control Study, Annals of Medicine, 53, 1059-1065.
- Y.N. Chow, L.K. Lee, N.A. Zakaria, K.Y. Foo, 2021, Integrated assessment of nickel electroplating industrial wastewater effluent as a renewable resource of irrigation water using a hydroponic cultivation system, Frontiers in Plant Science, 12:, 609396
- Y.N. Chow, L.K. Lee, K.Y. Foo, 2021, Scientific rationale of hospital discharge as a sustainable source of irrigation water: Detection, phytological assessment and toxicity verification, Process Safety and Environmental Protection, 148:, 834-845
- Mohamad Hafizi Abu Bakar, Khairul Anuar Shariff, Joo Shun Tan, Lai Kuan Lee, (2020), Celastrol attenuates inflammatory responses in adipose tissues and improves skeletal muscle mitochondrial functions in high fat diet-induced obese rats via upregulation of AMPK/SIRT1 signaling pathways. European Journal of Pharmacology, 883, 173371.
- E.K. Seow, T.C. Tan, L.K. Lee, Easa, M. A., 2020, Effects of honey types and heating treatment on the textural, thermal, microstructural and
chemical properties of glutinous rice flour gels. Journal of Texture Studies, Article in Press.
- Chow, Y.N., Lee, L.K., Zakaria, N.A., Foo, K.Y., 2020, Insight into the Chromium-Enriched Industrial Wastewater Irrigation Practice on Lablab
purpureus. Journal of Environmental Engineering, Volume 146(8),04020077.
- Balachanthar, S., Lee, L.K., Sustainable emergency food aid design for the preparedness of flood disaster in malaysia: A study methodology approach,
Disaster Advances Journal, Volume 12, Page 43-47.
- Seow, E.K., Gan, C.Y., Tan, T.C., L.K. Lee, Easa, A.M, 2019, Influence of honey types and heating treatment on the rheological properties of
glutinous rice flour gels. Journal of Food Science and Technology, Volume 56, Pages 2105-2114.
- Balachanthar, S., Zakaria, N.A., Lee, L.K. 2018. Development of emergency food assistance design: a nutritionally balanced, culturally-tailored and cost-effective strategy for flood mitigation. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 57, 314-329.
- Y.N. Chow, L.K. Lee, N.A. Zakaria, K.Y. Foo. 2018. Phytotoxic effects of trivalent chromium-enriched water irrigation in Vigna unguiculata seedlings. Journal of Cleaner Production, 202, 101-108..
B. Varastegani, W. Zzaman, K. V. Harivaindaran, T. A. Yang, W.N.W. Abdullah, L.K. Lee & A M. Easa. 2017. Effect of carrier agents on chemical properties and sensory evaluation od spray-dried Nigella Sativa. CyTA-Journal of Food, 3, 448-456.
- L, Sidek, H. Basri, L.K. Lee, K.Y. Foo. 2016. The performance of gross pollution trap for water quality preservation: A real practical application at the Klang Valley. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57, 24733-24741.
- L. Sidek, H.A. Mohiyaden, L.K. Lee, K.Y. Foo. 2016. Potential of engineered biomedia for the innovative purification of contaminated river water. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57, 24210-24221.
- L.K. Lee, K.Y. Foo. 2014. Recent insights on the significance of transcriptomic and metabolomic analysis of male factor infertility. Clinical Biochemistry, 47, 973-982.
- Lee, L.K., Foo, K.Y. 2013. Recent advances on the beneficial use and health implications of Pu-Erh tea. Food Research International, 53, 619-628.
- Lee, L.K., Foo, K.Y. 2013. An appraisal of the therapeutic value of lycopene for the chemoprevention of prostate cancer: A nutrigenomic approach. Food Research International, 54, 1217-1228.
- Lai Kuan Lee, Suzana Shahar, NorFadilah Rajab, Noor Aini Mohd Yusoff, Rahman A. Jamal, Sue Mian Then. 2013. The role of long chain omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in reducing lipid peroxidation among elderly patients with mild cognitive impairment: a case-control study. Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 24, 803-808.
- Lai Kuan Lee, Suzana Shahar, Ai-Vyrn Chin and Noor Aini Mohd Yusoff. 2013. Docosahexaenoic acid-concentrated fish oil supplementation in subjects with mild cognitive impairment (MCI): a 12-month randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Psychopharmacology, 225, 605-612.
- Lai Kuan Lee, Suzana Shahar, Norfadilah Rajab, Cheng Leong Lim, Nur Amira Harun. 2013. Association between vitamin A, vitamin E and apolipoprotein E status with mild cognitive impairment among elderly people in low cost residential areas. Nutritional Neuroscience, 16, 6-12.
- Foo, K.Y., Lee, L.K., Hameed, B.H. 2013. Preparation of banana frond activated carbon by microwave induced activation for the removal of boron and total iron from landfill leachate. Chemical Engineering Journal, 223, 604-610.
- Foo, K.Y., Lee, L.K., Hameed, B.H. 2013. Batch adsorption of semi-aerobic landfill leachate by granular activated carbon prepared by microwave heating. Chemical Engineering Journal, 222, 259-264.
- Foo, K.Y., Lee, L.K., Hameed, B.H. 2013. Preparation of tamarind fruit seed activated carbon by microwave heating for the adsorptive treatment of landfill leachate: A laboratory column evaluation. Bioresource Technology, 133, 599-605.
- Foo, K.Y., Lee, L.K., Hameed, B.H. 2013. Preparation of activated carbon from sugarcane bagasse by microwave assisted activation for the remediation of semi-aerobic landfill leachate. Bioresource Technology, 134, 166-172.
- Suzana Shahar, Siti Nur’Asyura Adznam, Lai Kuan Lee, Noor Aini Mohd Yusof, Mohamad Salleh, and Noor Ibrahim Mohamed Sakian. 2013. Effectiveness of a Nutrition Education Intervention Package on Anthropometric and Biochemical Profiles among Rural Older Malays with Metabolic Syndrome. Public Health Nursing, 30, 140-149.
- Lee, L.K., Shahar, S., Yusoff, N.A.M., Chin, A.V. 2013. Validation of a food frequency questionnaire in assessing the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids intake for Malays and Chinese elderly in Malaysia. Sains Malaysiana, 42(11): 1625-1632.
- Lai Kuan Lee, Suzana Shahar, Ai-Vyrn Chin, Noor Aini Mohd Yusoff, NorFadilah Rajab, Safiyyah Abdul Aziz. 2012. Prevalence of gender disparities and predictors affecting the occurrence of mild cognitive impairment (MCI). Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 54, 185-191.
- Lai Kuan Lee, Suzana Shahar, Ai-Vyrn Chin. 2012. Predicting the comorbidity, nutritional status and neuropsychological performance among depressive and non-depressive geriatric community: a comparative study. International Journal of Gerontology, 6, 278-284.
- Suzana Shahar, Junaidah Hassan, Vatana V. Sundar, Ai Yun Wenty Kong, Sook Ping Chin, Samsul Anuar Ahmad, Lai Kuan Lee. 2011. Determinants of depression and insomnia among institutionalized elderly people in Malaysia. Asian Journal of Psychiatry, 4, 188-195.
- Wong, S.H., Rajikan, R., Das, S., Yusoff, N.A.M., Lee, L.K., Aziz, S.A., Sakian, N.I.M., Shahar, S. 2010. Antioxidant intake and mild cognitive impairment among elderly people in Klang Valley: A pilot study. Sains Malaysiana, 39(4): 689-696.
- Lai Kuan Lee, Suzana Shahar, NorFadilah Rajab. 2009. Serum folate concentration, cognitive impairment and DNA damage among elderly individuals in Malaysia. Nutrition Research, 29, 327-334.
- Publication 1
- Publication 2
- Publication 3
A. Academic Award
1. Sanggar Sanjung Award For Excellent Achievement in Category of Journal Publication
2. Award 2
3. Award 3
B. USM Excellent Award
2. Award 2
3. Award 3
Effectiveness of multigrain-enriched powder supplementation among the rheumatoid arthritis (RA) patients: An open-label clinical trial (2018 - 2020).
- A COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF SACHA INCHI OIL SUPPLEMENTATION FOR HYPERGLYCEMIA, HYPERTENSION AND HYPERLIPIDEMIA IMPROVEMENT
- Efficacy of low glycemic index instant multigrain supplement in Type II Diabetes Mellitus: A randomized, open labelled intervention trial,
- Efficacy of TocoOat in Metabolic Syndrome (MetS): A Randomised Human Clinical Trial