The School has been receiving tremendous support in terms of research grants as well as funding for the academic development of the staff and research facilities from the government and other bodies such as the Kuok Foundation, Sarawak Government, Sabutek, Sarawak Pepper Marketing Board, European Union (EU), Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB), JIRCAS, Toray, DANCED and MOSTI. The laboratories are well equipped with the latest analytical and processing equipment to support diverse and advanced research programmes.
- The Food Tech laboratories are equipped with the latest food processing instruments, microbiology, chemical analysis, sensory and texture studies.
- Food Processing Lab
- Food Instrumental Analysis Lab
- Food Chemical Analysis Lab
- The BPC Tech laboratories are equipped with wood anatomical equipment, wood durability analyser, wood protection equipment, rheological measurement, processing equipment for plywood, particleboard, and fibreboard. Papermaking machines and equipment for surface coatings are also available.
- Furniture Workshop
- Pulp and Paper Testing Lab
- Coatings Lab
- Thermal Testing Lab
- The Env Tech laboratories are equipped with bioremediation equipment, a pilot plant for industrial wastewater, a pilot plant for domestic wastewater, water, heavy metal testing equipment, dust, particulate, noise, and vibration testing equipment.
- Energy Testing Unit
- An eddy covariance flux and meteorological station that monitors environmental parameters. The real-time data can be viewed at https://atmosfera.usm.my.
- The Bioprocess Tech facilities comprise of the following laboratories fitted with instruments related to the biotechnology field:
- Cell Culture Lab
- Fermentation Technology Lab
- Microalgae Lab
- The Centralized Lab collects laboratories with high-end analytical instruments such as ICP-OES, AAS, and HPLC. The fees for using this equipment are downloadable using this link.
- The Ibn Hayyan Lab houses state-of-the-art equipment such as the Calorimeter Tristimulus, Differential Scanning Calorimeter, Gas Chromatography, Rheometer, Texture Analyser, and UV VIS Spectrophotometer.